Dog with headache

If in doubt.

If you think your dog has eaten something poisonous or been in contact with a poison, but she isn’t showing signs of illness, call your local veterinarian or emergency veterinary clinic for advice. If possible, it helps to have information about the poison. Another option is to call the ASPCA’s poison hotline, 1-888-426-4435, where, for a $65 fee, you can consult experts on pet poisons.

If your dog is clearly sick.

If your dog is experiencing seizures, is foaming at the mouth, losing consciousness, or having trouble breathing, grab a cell phone and get on your way to your local veterinarian or emergency veterinary clinic. Call ahead and let them know you’re coming. Give them the following information:

Your dog’s breed, age, sex, weight, and symptoms.

Information about the poison your dog ingested.

If possible bring the product container or packaging for reference.

The top household culprits in dog poisonings.

1. Prescription and over-the-counter drugs, including painkillers, cold and flu remedies, and antidepressants.

2. Insecticides, flea and tick preparations, and insect baits.

3. Common household plants such as lilies, azaleas, kalanchoe, rhododendron, sago palm, schefflera.

4. Rodenticides for extermination of mice and rats.

5. Common household cleaners like bleaches, detergents, and disinfectants.

Keep any of these items well out of your dog’s reach, preferably in high-up or locked cabinets.

Facebook comments:

comments

Leave a reply

required

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>